Home » Opinions » Adenovirus found at the University of Maryland

Adenovirus found at the University of Maryland

Several cases of adenovirus have been reportedly infecting students at the University of Maryland. Adenoviruses are a group of viruses that infect the lining of a person’s eyes, airways, lungs, intestines, and more. This virus is particularly dangerous and is hard to treat. 

There have been four cases at the university. Three of the cases did not require hospitalization, but the other did.

After being in and out of the hospital, 18-year-old Olivia Paregol died after being affected earlier in the semester.  Health investigations have discovered that the adenoviruses could be tied to a mold outbreak in one of the dorms on campus.  

According to media reports, the state health department found out about the outbreak Nov. 12.

Dorm buildings become a student’s home away from home. From semester to semester proper cleanings need to take place for the safety of the tenants.  College is where students are supposed to make the best of memories; however, that cannot happen if students are afraid of being the next one sick. 

by Aiden Rayner

, ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *